Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Boy Meets World . . .

For my entire life so far, the world outside has been cold, wet, and white. When I went outside with Mom and Dad, they had to put me in the carrier and then drape a blanket over it so I didn't get too cold. Every night Mom and Dad would turn on two space heaters to make the bedroom warm enough for me to sleep, and it was still pretty cold when I got up in the morning!

Well, all that changed just a couple of days ago. The temperature shot up to the 50's on Sunday and the 60's on Monday, and I finally got to go out and look around! Mom and Dad took me for a walk (well, they walked and I strolled) on Sunday and Monday both. The first half of Sunday's walk I was wide awake, and even though I looked at Mom most, I did look around and take in all the sights (melting snow, leafless trees, and pretty houses), sounds (traffic, birds, and barking dogs) and smells (see above re: dogs). I wanted to keep looking, but the stroller rolls so smoothly (thanks, Nana and Granddaddy!) that it eventually lulled me to sleep. Still, it was nice to be out and get some fresh air! Mom and Dad told me that they chose this neighborhood especially because they were thinking about me, before I was even born, and that they moved to Minneapolis so I could have clean air to breathe and clean water to drink.


Monday was so warm and wonderful that Dad pulled out the patio furniture and we all sat outside for an hour. I'm still processing the whole "wind" thing, and it kind of confuses me, but after a while I decided it felt pretty nice.

What else . . . oh, since I'm growing at a ridiculous pace -- I'm already out of some of the smaller 0-3 month clothing -- I've outgrown my bathtub. I looked pretty silly sitting in it with just my bottom in the water! So Mom and Dad got me a new tub that should grow with me for quite a while. It's good for Mom and Dad, mentally, to see me in something so big, because then I look little again!

Yesterday, Dad said to Mom, "it's not that I want him to stop growing; I just want to be able to go back and visit him at each stage. I want him to keep going and learn to talk and go to school and all, I just want to be able to go back and zip him into my hoodie again." Seems to me that's what being a parent is all about, all the time! Hopefully this blog and the pictures Mom and Dad are taking can be a little time machine for them.

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment